Monday 5 September 2011

A bit of a riddle...


After speaking to my mother-in-law at the weekend it appears that she never knew her Granddad, Samuel Molloy. The story goes that after getting married to Margaret and having 4 children he just disappeared.

Well, obviously I like a challenge so the next day I started doing a little bit of digging and guess what I found - Samuel Molloy went to Canada! I found the passenger list of the SS Megantic (on Ancestry) and there he is. It doesn't look like he was planning on coming back either as he has answered yes when asked if he intends to live permanently in Canada. He doesn't hide the fact he's married either as he's described as husband. There is some writing that seems to mention wife but I can't read it - can anyone decipher it?So, now I'm obviously interested in Canadian records as I'd like to know what happened to Samuel once he got to Canada. I don't think the rest of the family ever went out to Canada so I wonder if he got remarried or how long he lived etc. Any tips on Canada would be great!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,

    I saw your plea on Little Bytes of Life tonight.

    Send me what you've got at genealogycanada@aol.com. I might be able to shed a bit of light on him. Not the first time I've run across men leaving their families behind to come to Canada.

    I noticed Montreal in your picture - a big clue there. I also need to know where Samuel came from. Some records for Montreal and ships are available, depends on when.

    Check out my blog www.GenealogyCanada.blogspot.com, as I have some posts that may be helpful to you.

    Regards,

    Elizabeth Lapointe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer Elizabeth.

    I will definitely drop you an email with the information I have found and see whether you can point me in the right direction.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete